After a day of fixing the tractor and getting a lawnmower running… we finally made it back to the roof. We really enjoy doing slate work. Kerry does the cutting inside the attic and hands the slates out the window. We might have mentioned this but, we are not going to use any tar. We are using our custom cut step flashings to make sure there are no leaks where the roof meets the wall. We also replaced the valley flashing. All of this slate came off of this part of the roof. It was the stuff used to make repairs in 1999 we think.
If you have FaceBook, you can watch our presentation to the Harrodsburg Historical Society. They said that you could share it if you would like. Our presentation starts at about the 4 minute mark
We are doing a presentation for the Harrodsburg Historical Society at 7pm tonight. We are not very good at that kind of thing so… wish us luck. We have a slideshow of 76 pictures of the Mooreland House so, we think that will make them happy. Everyone loves to see pictures of the Mooreland House. =)
We took the day off from working on the Mooreland House because we had to fix a flat roof on a rental house. Pro tip, you can’t use regular shingles on a low pitched roof and expect it to last very long. We had to replace a third of the sheathing. This one should be good for quite a while now.
This week’s video we attempt to move a brick wall of the Mooreland House. This house is very stubborn and stuck in her ways. If you happen to like the video, please share it on all your social media sites and comment on YouTube because it makes more people be able to see it.
We had to fix the big hole in the roof before we could begin the putting slate back on. We cut out all the bad stuff and replaced it with some of our salvaged roof decking that we pulled from another area of the Mooreland House that won’t be seen. We had to break out the scaffolding again in order to get up there and fix it. Who knew this hole was going to be so big!
It took a little while to figure out how to do the flashing around this small ornamental metal outcropping. The solution last time someone gave the roof attention was to fill the whole area with tar and silicone caulk. The way it is flashed now should keep the water running off the roof and no tar was used.
Well, no more slates to take off on this area of the roof. We have reached the end. They were all bad or different sizes. We found regular 10 inch wide slates, 11, 12, and even a couple 13 inch wide ones. Seams were matched up so there was no way that the water wasn’t going to leak in. Maybe John doesn’t want to be found because then we would know who put that slate on in 1999. Time to put it all back on.
We found another slate that was scratched by John about his undying love for Crystal. We now have 2 of them. One says “John and Crystal long live love” and the other says “John loves Crystal 1999”. We made a short little video about it so we hope that everyone will share it on all the social sites they have in order to try and solve this mystery.
Once again, we found an area that was worse than we thought. We kept going down the roof taking off slate until we found some that was sound. Along the way we found that what looked like solid roof decking was really a rotted out mess. This wasn’t in the plans to do yet. Well, who are we kidding, this is why we don’t make plans.