The last time it rained really hard it came into the house quite a bit. We took a few pictures of the downpour. Because of this, we decided to make some temporary barriers to the weather. It isn’t water proof by any means but it will keep most of the rain out.
It doesn’t seem like much but it really means a lot to us. We have successfully put back 8 stones on the front of the Mooreland House. Tomorrow we will try to do a before and after of the crack once we get a few more done. Heading in the right direction now.
We have started the rebuilding of the pillar between the windows. As the block gets stacked they also get rebar put in the cores and the cores will be filled with concrete. This pillar will be much more substantial than the two independent stacks of bricks.
We did a quick little video on YouTube. Some people were concerned about the structure of the Mooreland House. We know it is in terrible shape and that is why we are saving it.
We finally got the first video done about the daunting task of taking down the stone and brick on the front of the Mooreland House. This video is a little shorter than most. We had to decide between making it a longer video than most or having two shorter videos. Shorter won. =)
We decided to go with concrete block filled with concrete and rebar as a replacement for the stacked brick. There was just no way to make it as stable as it needs to be. As we go up with the concrete block we will be tying in the stone facade. Now we will just have to see how straight we can make it so it matches at the top.
We built the forms and got the first concrete poured. Did we mention that we were replacing the brick with concrete? This will be so much more substantial and will actually hold together if there is any type of earthquake. Lots more ahead.
The brick is down to where it is solid. We had to go all the way to the first floor in order to find some. In the middle of the picture you can see the back of the stone. We were able to keep the last 7 feet standing. Next we will build some forms and pour concrete on top of the brick. Time to build that wall.
Okay, we have successfully removed all the windows from the part of the Mooreland House we are working on. One more pillar of bricks to remove and we can start going back up.
Minnie Ball’s bedroom sure does have a much better view without the walls and windows in the way. We sure hope this goes up as well as it is coming down.