We got a new toy to make working on the Mooreland House a little more safe. We know that people are always concerned about us so we wanted to do this upgrade. The new work platform is more substantial and has more safety features. This is also going to make life a little easier.
Month: August 2021
Part of the restoration is keeping up with all the debris and doing regular maintenance on things that we have fixed already. We know people love the before/after pictures so… here goes.
The Take Down
We continue to take down the facade on the front of the Mooreland House. Some of it comes out just fine and some of it is a little more difficult. There is a little drama in this video but everything turns out okay.
We now have another way to keep track of the Mooreland House. These new cellular trail cameras do a great job. There’s no electricity or internet required. The camera takes a picture when it senses motion and immediately sends it to our phones. Technology is wonderful.
We have been using the rain delay as an excuse to do some yard work. Frank’s version of killing weeds involves the same torch we use for the roofing. It certainly looks better under the Osage Orange trees now.
It is supposed to rain quite a bit over the next week so we thought we would close up the gaping hole in the Mooreland House. It isn’t close to weather tight but it should keep some of the water out.
This week’s video is more of the deconstruction of the front stone façade. We suspect the Mooreland House was just waiting for us to save her because there are quite a few places where she was ready to fall down. Once the weight was taken off the top of the stone wall it became very unstable. Funny how 6,000 pounds resting on a wall can make it more stable. If you like the video, share it with people on your social media or tell friends about it. Kerry works hard on these and it would be neat to get her some more subscribers.
Frank built some jigs to help funnel the concrete into the narrow opening of the forms. It worked out well. We included a picture of what 42 empty bags of concrete look like. It was just a little chaotic.
We are ready for the concrete. The forms are complete and the rebar is bent and ready to go in. We don’t have running water at the Mooreland House so we will have to get about 40 gallons of water to the second floor to mix up the concrete.
We had to replace 2 of the floor joists before we poured the concrete. The ends of the joists will be embedded in the concrete. It probably wasn’t necessary but as a precaution we treated the ends by scorching them and using an old wood treatment technic. Still not sure how the radiator was still on the second floor since it was resting where the hole is.