It’s interesting what we find in the walls of the Mooreland House. The back of this stone looked a little different so we took a closer look. Turns out, this must have been a stone that was being shaped to make a column or something. The base and flutes are already there and it is on it’s side. The front of the stone is just like the others in the wall. We found a picture of a fluted pedestal that kind of resembles it if you have no idea what we are talking about. =)
Month: September 2021
We aren’t sure what these stones are called but they seem to tie everything together. There are only two of them and they run the entire width of the wall we’ve been rebuilding. Now we can build some more forms and get the concrete behind this facade. We are getting closer.
We got the small lentil back into place. It is only about 5 feet long and about 500 pounds. We also put the corner stone in. It is a great feeling to build over 20 feet of wall and have the corner stone fit exactly as it should.
Huge Lentil is in!
We made a big step by actually reinstalling the huge lentil above the window. We estimate that it weighs almost 800 pounds. It took us the entire day to manipulate it into place and get it right but… it is in!
We got the concrete poured into the column without a blowout. The straps worked as advertised. We are very pleased with how this column turned out. In hindsight, we would have rather done this than the concrete blocks on the first floor column.
We Stopped Tearing Down!
We are now heading in the right direction on the stone wall in front of the Mooreland House. Looking back at it… it was a monumental task. We hope the detail of the video explains things that we weren’t able to explain in a couple of pictures on the blog. Last weeks video did fairly well. Thanks to everyone that helped us out by sharing it and all that.
Ok, stones are back in place. This time we have straps around the stone column. Too bad we didn’t think about it before. The weak link is now taken care of and there shouldn’t be a blowout.
Well, that didn’t go well. We were pouring the concrete into the column and it had a blowout. The pillars moved a fraction of an inch and there was nothing left supporting the stones we put in. Frank caught the small wall of stone before it collapsed but it all had to come back down. You can see in the pictures the gap between the stones and the pillars. All the concrete we just poured had to be removed as well. Guess we get to start over on this 4 foot section of the column. Practice makes perfect!
We put another pallet of concrete bags into the Mooreland House. This time Kerry lifted it to the attic and Frank unloaded it. This is definitely the way to get 80 pound bags to the third floor!
Column of Stone
We made it to the top of the column. Next we have to pour concrete behind the stone and then we will be ready for the lintels. Try to pick out the 2 stones Frank shaped without looking back at the post.