This week’s video is the arrival of the new work platform for Bertha. It has made a huge difference in our project! There is no comparison to what we were working with before. We also get some support forms built and installed. Thanks for your support!
We have the outside forms up. We attached the plywood forms to the concrete blocks with concrete screws. They should hold pretty well. The bottom crown molding will go back up on the left side before we pour.
We had to jack up the brickwork to the right of the wall section we have been working on. We decided that instead of relying on the bricks to not fall again, we would use pressure treated lumber to make it again. This area had sagged a little over half an inch because the “nailer” they used for the crown molding rotted out.
We had to get creative on how to hold the metal crown molding in place while we poured the next batch of concrete. We decided on concrete blocks. The blocks will enable us to get the crown molding in the exact spot and will keep the bottom of the form in place. The concrete blocks will be eternally encased in the wall.
We got another couple rows of bricks in. We decided to change tactics and not use the inside brick wall as the concrete form. Now we will shift focus to getting the forms done instead of building back this brick wall. We also put the lower part of the crown molding back up and it fits just like it should!
We catch up a little farther on the YouTube channel. This is stuff that you guys that follow the blog have seen happen this summer. We are able to give a little more detail about how we do stuff on video. Hopefully this gives you a little more insight into what we are doing and how we are doing it.
We got what we hope is the last pallet of concrete for the wall. Kerry skillfully manuevered the pallet out of the dump trailer and put it inside the attic of the Mooreland House.
Surprise! We have another place that we have to replace the bricks. This area under the crown molding has to be repaired before we can form up and pour more concrete into the front wall. We have to do something different than the way they attached the crown molding. It was wood and it rotted.
While there is no way we can pressure wash at the Mooreland House, that doesn’t mean we can’t take parts home with us. We were able to get all the loose paint and dirt off of the bottom part of the crown molding. We are still trying to decide what color they were originally so we can replicate it.
We thought that everyone would like a couple shots of the Mooreland House without the scaffolding in the way. The scaffolding has been in front of the house for a very long time. We are now going to use it up on the front portico roof so we can get to the box gutter in that area.