We made stones like crazy and finally finished the part of the front wall we took down. This was the culmination of a few months of work that we didn’t know if we were capable of but we managed to muddle through it. We have now successfully put back a wall that will last for at least another hundred years. Thanks for supporting us daily on this blog while we went through it. Hope this video clears up some questions that weren’t answered by a few sentences on the blog posts.
We slowed down a little for the Christmas season. With the family in town we want to spend more time with the kids. We did talk them into letting us take a picture to share. Merry Christmas from our family to yours. Soon the kids will have to go back to their homes and we can get back to work!
We got up at 4am this morning and drove 5 hours to pick up some more slate. We got about 6,000 pounds. We should have enough now to finish the Mooreland House roof. Driving 10 hours with an hour of loading slate in a trailer makes for a long day. We made it back in time to go caroling though. Lucky Frank.
This week’s video is about us shaping a few more stones for the front wall of the Mooreland House. All the stones we had that were in good shape are back into the wall. We are considering changing the YouTube channel name from “Frank and Kerry’s Adventures” to “Saving Harrodsburg Castle”. Remember to “like” the video and comment on YouTube to help them know people are watching.
We made our first brick arch. All the brick work on the back of the facade has to be self supporting. We took the arch down as we were dismantling the wall. Kerry was busy cleaning the old mortar off so we could reuse the bricks. It won’t win any beauty contest but it will hold up the rest of the wall.
We got a new tool! We assembled and mounted our new davit hoist to the work platform. We will now be able to fine tune the stones as we place them. This was our first attempt at lifting a stone. We set it back down after this and got it completely level. This should make it much easier.
We put the window back into the dormer facade. It’s isn’t permanent yet. We needed to make sure it fit and had to get the height of the header. It will stay in place for a good while. We also now have a couple flat spots to put in the next big stones.
Happy Sunday! When you see us weighing the stone in the video, try to guess the weight and put it in the comments. Frank’s guess was off. Good luck with your guesses! The Mooreland House survived the storms that blew through Kentucky. The major ones were a couple hours west of us.