This area of the Mooreland House is beyond repair. We have just been letting it deteriorate but we think it might be time to clean it up. If this area falls in, there is really no damage to the rest of the house. The roof is held up by the brick walls surrounding this area. The fix in this area would be to remove all the rotten wood and close this area of the house off. This would be nasty, dirty work but it all needs done. This area needs all new floor joists and walls.
Month: March 2022
Project Option: 3
Here is number three! It would be a quick temporary fix to make sure this back roof won’t fall down. This is one that we could knock out in a few days and would make a big impact on the integrity of the back of the Mooreland House. It involves some lumber and then some slate work to complete the task.
Project Option: 2
Kerry got the second video put together. This side dormer doesn’t have the water problems that the front dormer has but it is one that we don’t know how long it will stand. We have been keeping an eye on it for over a year and it hasn’t moved but you never know.
Project Option: 1
We mentioned that we were looking at the next project the other day. It was really hard to explain what we had in mind for each option in a picture. We decided to put out a short video of each option so you could see what is in store for us. Who knows, we might even find something else more pressing before we start on any of them.
Window is Back
This week’s video has us doing brickwork and putting the original window back into it’s spot in the wall. It is very satisfying to put something back into place and it fits like it should. Thanks for being here every Sunday morning and giving us encouragement as we put this wonderful house back together.
Now that we completed the wall project, we have to move on to something else. There are many things that need done. We have narrowed our next big project down to four things. The other front dormer, the side dormer, the kitchen porch or the powder room in the back hallway. All four of these areas are in the process of falling down. We pray that we choose the right one. =)
Finial… In Place
Gusty winds are not fun to deal with when you are working over 50 feet high on a work platform. It seems like it is going to sway right over. In spite of the wind, we got the dormer facade done. The stone supporting the finial was 277 and the finial weighed in at 60 kilograms which is 132 pounds. We think it looks great.
The 45 degree angle to the stones worked just wonderful. Frank was pretty busy and forgot to do interim pictures with his phone. He did get some video though so we will have something to put on YouTube. Two more stones and we are done.
We thought about how to get these large stones at the required 45 degree angle for the reinstallation for over a year. We finally got to try it out and it works like a champ! The stone weighed in at 477 pounds. Now that the concept is proven, we will be able to get them back in place. We got the bed ready to set them in. Now it’s as easy as lifting them up 50 feet or so and setting them down.
We got a few more stones into the wall. We are getting close to the top and are trying to figure out our next move. Kerry does a wonderful job putting out these videos every week. They might not be cinematic quality but they are very consistent and real. Enjoy.