It took us a few days but we got the inside bricks done. We didn’t get any pictures of the progress but here is the completed area. Not sure how the videos will be because it was cramped working conditions and pretty dark. The picture with Kerry going up the scaffolding gives the scale of the entire bricked area.
Month: March 2022
We got some new lighting fixtures for the Mooreland House. Ok, so they are just some construction light strings but, it’s a huge improvement. We still have 300 feet of extension cords strung to the tenent house but it works for a few led lights. It really makes a difference.
We put a temporary top on the dormer facade to keep large birds and some of the weather out of the Mooreland House. Putting the large triangle stone up created a large area that now needs to be filled in with brick. Yippee!
A big piece of the Mooreland House is back in place. The carved stone triangle is part of the wall again. It looks so much better there than it did on the ground amongst the weeds. If anyone is curious, it weighs 550 pounds.
Frank has a little trouble getting the arch stones in correctly in this week’s video. It took a few tries but he gets it eventually. Having the form under the stones saved the day. Thanks for watching! Kerry really enjoys putting these videos out. A few weeks ago one of the videos did really well. We aren’t sure what happened but if it was you guys sharing it… THANKS!
Cross Tie Stone
We aren’t sure what to call this stone but it is now part of the Mooreland House again. For now we will just call it a cross tie stone. This stone will be the base for the carved triangle. Winter weather is back for a couple days. We expect 3 inches of snow and overnight temperatures of 14 degrees fahrenheit for Friday night and Saturday morning. We will be back at it on Monday though.
Getting a little more brick work done. It’s nice to not worry about the work (or Frank) getting wet. It is a little cramped working in the peak of this dormer, 10 foot up on the scaffolding. You can see the rod that goes through the brick and stone and is bolted on the other side.
We put up a little bit of an old tarp in order to keep some of the rain out. Some might recognize the tarp as an old copper roof. We can do a little inside work while we wait for the showers to pass. We also did a quick fix on a few missing slates. They are going to need replaced.
This week’s video is the two large stones that are the mid range tie in stones for the dormer facade. These create the base for the arch stones. We tried to get to the arch in this video but it made it over 30 minutes long. We didn’t figure anybody would want to sit and watch us work for over 30 minutes. =)
We aren’t sure that the anchor bolt sticking through the stone facade would hold it but, it’s back in place. We filled in all the small stones and are ready for the bonding stone that will hold them together. Stones go up pretty quickly. The bricks behind them, not so much.