We now have another clean up job to do in the basement. It was much easier to just let all the rot fall to the basement floor than try to collect it on the rotten floor. There is now a big hole.
Kerry put together a video of our accomplishments over the past year. Frank was surprised at some of the projects that seemed like they were done a long time ago. Amazing how time flies. The next year is going to be wonderful now that we have learned so much. Thanks for sharing our journey. This would be a great video to share if you have someone you want to catch up all at once on our progress.
The journey of the front wall and dormer facade is complete. Of course, there are still the windows and flashing to redo but the stone and brickwork is done. Next week we will do a recap of the stuff we have done over the year. Two years down!
We got the wall down. You can see why we were careful in this area because there was technically no floor. We only had to pull back the cheap rug that was there and pushed the rotten floor into the basement.
Two more stones are back into the wall! This video shows how we got the stones at an angle to fit them back into place. Amazing that with the right tools things go a lot smoother. Frank contemplated how to do this for over a year. Hope you enjoy the video.
We didn’t have time to post yesterday because we did another presentation for the Harrodsburg Historical Society. We have been demolishing the powder room and the bathroom next to it. We can tell by what it looks like from the basement that there is not a solid floor. It was so precarious that it was safer to put the bathroom door through the floor than try to get it out any other way. We snapped a few pictures of the progress.
The first step in the process of tearing down the Powder Room is cleaning up debris in the basement. We put a string of work lights up and got busy. Some of the debris on the floor was about 10 inches thick. Now we can go to the ground floor and figure out how we can safely get the walls down.
This week’s video spans from the last work on the dormer in December until the weather warmed back up in March. We couldn’t resist using the clickbait title of “We Quit”. The brickwork gets done in this video and now we are just left with the 4 big stones at the very top of the dormer. Lots of work ahead.
Kerry and her dad found a swarm of bees at the Mooreland House. Frank is out of town and wasn’t able to get pictures but the security cameras see all.
The long awaited video of us putting the huge carved stone back in the dormer facade is here. The contraption we built to keep it upright while we lifted it worked great. Doing brickwork in a small area 10 feet up on a scaffolding has it’s own challenges. It was really difficult to get any footage of that work. Enjoy!