Equilibrium

We take down some of the big stones that are at an angle in this video. The original crafters made slots in the top of the stones to accept the wedges that they would have used to lift the stones. It was easy to figure out where the weight was centered since they did it for us 130 years ago. We are amazed every day at the engineering that must have gone into the whole process of building the Mooreland House.

Gordon Was Right

Gordon made a comment on our most recent video about revisiting some of our other roof temporary fixes. We did plan on checking them but not this week. Ms Mooreland had other plans. This first heavy rain proved that our fix was no longer valid. We had to stretch a tarp inside the attic to catch all the water. We have another more permanent temporary roof on the back of the Mooreland House now.

It Reached!

The boom jib extension for the 54 foot forklift just barely reached the pedestal at the top of the dormer. It made it though. We had to remove the scaffolding walkboards in order to get the pedestal down. We have to be a little more precise on where we place the forklift. We have the height but we can’t quite get far enough to raise the stones straight up. Kerry does a great job of driving Bertha so it was no problem.

Thirty Feet

We set up thirty feet of scaffolding on the front portico and tied it into the Mooreland House. Frank didn’t get an overall picture after it was done but we have a couple when it was at 20 feet. For those who are curious, Frank has to stand on the scaffolding to hook up the stones to the new boom jib. It won’t be nearly as easy as standing in the work platform and using the davit crane. Frank took a few pictures of the top stones and was able to remove the finial without Bertha’s help. The gaps between stones is the missing mortar that has been allowed to let water into the walls for years. Mortar needs to be touched up every 50 years or so. =)