We build up the 30 feet of scaffolding and get to work with the boom jib. Kerry makes sure it can handle the weight by testing it out. Hope everyone enjoys the video!
We are trying to mitigate the amount of water that is getting into the basement of the Mooreland House. We cleaned up a lot of the lath and plaster that was covering the floor and saw how much water was getting in. A lot of the water was coming through the brick and stones. The so called gutters are nothing but a funnel to get all the water into the cornice moldings and force it into the brick. We took the gutters out of the system and now the water will no longer be funneled into the basement. It’s only a small area and we will see how well it works before we go on to do more of the same.
We finish up Option 2, taking down the south dormer. We were able to catch some video of something not going quite right and Frank ripping his shirt just a little bit. We added a nice dramatic title for YouTube views. =) Hope nobody gets too nervous, it all works out.
This week’s video is where we try to remove stones that are preventing other stones from falling. It was a great architectural feature and lasted well over 100 years but it is a little precarious taking it down. Nothing a few well placed straps can’t fix though.
We take down some of the big stones that are at an angle in this video. The original crafters made slots in the top of the stones to accept the wedges that they would have used to lift the stones. It was easy to figure out where the weight was centered since they did it for us 130 years ago. We are amazed every day at the engineering that must have gone into the whole process of building the Mooreland House.