The basement is in pretty bad shape. We start by making sure the stairs are sound enough to go up and down. We hope the change of scenery will be nice. Enjoy!
We made a quick video to answer a question put forth in the comment section of the last video. A few people thought they saw writing on the stones so we went to investigate…
Okay, we finally made it through all the dormer videos. Thanks to everyone that was able to stay interested through it. We can now move on to other things. Having the dormer stones on the ground has really taken some of our stress off. We no longer have to be concerned with the destruction that would have ensued if one of these huge stone walls would have collapsed. Thanks for watching and thanks for staying with us through it all.
Only one more video after this one and the front dormer will be on the ground. Frank shows what it is like to prepare one of the large stones for lifting. Luckily we didn’t break any more.
This week’s video continues the takedown of the front dormer facade. We had a mishap on this one. As we were transporting one of the huge stones with the tractor, it slipped. Frank didn’t have it attached very well to the tractor bucket and down it went. It only fell about two feet but that was all it took. We will figure out how to put it back together or will make a new stone. Just one of the things that can and will happen over time.
We continue to take down the front dormer in this video. As we were taking it down, Kerry was trying to pull a brick off and we could see the wall swaying. We decided we needed to make sure the wall was secure before we lost the whole thing. Strapping up the wall will be in next week’s video.
We are finally getting rid of all the broken tubs that we pulled out of the Mooreland House 2 years ago. We put them in the back of the building that is on the property and we are trying to organize it. It sure brought back a lot of memories.
We build up the 30 feet of scaffolding and get to work with the boom jib. Kerry makes sure it can handle the weight by testing it out. Hope everyone enjoys the video!
We are trying to mitigate the amount of water that is getting into the basement of the Mooreland House. We cleaned up a lot of the lath and plaster that was covering the floor and saw how much water was getting in. A lot of the water was coming through the brick and stones. The so called gutters are nothing but a funnel to get all the water into the cornice moldings and force it into the brick. We took the gutters out of the system and now the water will no longer be funneled into the basement. It’s only a small area and we will see how well it works before we go on to do more of the same.
We finish up Option 2, taking down the south dormer. We were able to catch some video of something not going quite right and Frank ripping his shirt just a little bit. We added a nice dramatic title for YouTube views. =) Hope nobody gets too nervous, it all works out.