The concrete pour in the column forms worked very well. It makes a big difference to use a concrete vibrator. Now we can continue upward without worrying about knocking over the stone work.
Our videos have finally caught up to where we finished the wall demolition. Next week will be the first video of putting everything back together. Remember that there is a share button at the bottom of the video next to the “like” button. You could also comment on the video and that helps YouTube promote it. Thanks everyone!
We got the first part of the column poured. We forgot to take a picture once it was done. Just imagine the same thing as in the pictures we have and pretend the forms are up about 5 feet. =)
We have started getting the forms together that will help frame the windows and be there for the concrete column and bond beam. There has been a lot of thought put into how to do this the best way and get it very precise. We will find out how we did once we get the stones up.
It would seem that the ordinary maintenance of the Mooreland House never ends. We have mentioned before that the grass in Kentucky grows with a penchant. Frank was able to catch the grounds keeper doing some of that ordinary maintenance. Of course, the grounds keeper was able to make a batch of hot lime mortar between passes.
We figured we are about a third of the way up on the stone wall. Since it seems that people like to see the difference between the pictures, we are posting some for you to look at. =)
We made it to the top of the side posts. Now we have to do some concrete work behind the stone before we can go up any higher. We will be building forms and pouring a column this time instead of using concrete block.
This week’s video is from when we had to remove the windows to facilitate the removal of the brick and stone façade on the front of the Mooreland House. The windows and frames are going to have to be rebuilt when we put them back in. If you find the video entertaining or want to see what your friends think of it… just hit the share button below the video and it will help you get it in front of others for their enjoyment.
We were able to prop up the bottom window frame posts long enough to get a few stones in. As Frank put stones in he would ensure that the side posts stayed plumb and true. Hopefully we can get more stones in without having to build braces to hold them up.
The concrete has had plenty of time to rest and we are ready to get back to the stone. The concrete looks much more substantial than the original bricks that were there. We are going to leave the forms on for now because we might have to rig up some braces as we go up with the stones.