Great Sunday morning! Hope everyone enjoys the video for this week. We install the long stone that ties all the small rubble stones together. This is the foundation for the large triangle stone that has the wonderful carving on it. We make sure we get it right because it will be there for a long time. We also make a slight improvement to help with water intrusion.
With another quick roof patch, we are taking option number 3 (Kitchen Porch) off the books. It’s not done by any means but we just needed to make sure it wasn’t going to fall down. As you might notice, it will solve some of the leaks as well.
We got a little help from a local here in Harrodsburg. Randy saw that we had a large part of an Osage Orange tree down and he offered to clean it up for us. It was a good size and would have taken us a few days. Thanks Randy!
Our groundskeeper, Kerry, spent the day going around in circles. Believe it or not, she says that she enjoys it. It was definitely a satisfying day to look back at the before pictures and see the difference that was made.
Good morning everyone! Even though this work was done with the leaves all off the trees and it was cold, we are now into Spring! Things are starting to grow again and we have a litany of things that need to get done around the Mooreland House. In this week’s video Frank struggles with the stones having just the right fit. We get it eventually and it looks good. Our videos are starting to reach more people because of all of you sharing our journey with others. Thank you so much!
The slate on the kitchen porch roof is in pretty bad shape. We are covering the holes for now but we will probably have to take all the slate off when we do the permanent structural repair to the porch. The magnolia trees have shaded this area and it was never allowed to dry. It’s much better than it was. Quite a bit more to do.
After very extensive inspection and weighing all the options, we came up with a simple fix. In order to keep the Kitchen Porch from falling down we only needed support in 2 key areas. Because the Mooreland House was built out of very dense lumber, she has been able to survive a lot of abuse. She still needs a facelift and patches on the roof but option 3 was easier than we thought.
We were tired of looking at the cluttered front portico. We had extra slate and lumber stored there. Not anymore! We moved all the construction stuff to other places. We also got a better looking temporary light fixture. There is no electricity but it still looks good. Kerry assembled some patio furniture as well.
We had a nice steady day of rain today. Perfect timing for doing a little cleaning. Pictures are of the second floor foyer, the master bedroom and Anita’s room. Even though she is “clean” now, she sure looks rough.
We are closing in on the top of the dormer facade in our video series. This is very close to the last video that was made before winter struck. Once the temperature started getting below freezing overnight we shut down the operation and waited till Spring. Hopefully no one gets motion sickness from Frank’s first person perspective with the GoPro camera.