The stone wall that we took down is now back in place. This area is not done though. We still have concrete work to do. We are feeling much better about taking this all down and redoing it. We will post a few before and after pictures tomorrow.
Frank had a great time shaping stones at the Mooreland House. Making templates, selecting a good size stone, cutting it to shape and then test fitting and fine tuning. We had to remake about 20 stones. Talk about a dust cloud!
Ok, we now have the right side corner done. We were able to get in 8 more stones but now we have to start manufacturing some. The poor stones under the dormer facade took a whole lot of pressure that they weren’t supposed to. Most of the stones on this side were just in pieces. Next job, shaping stones.
We got 13 stones in on the left part of the wall. We don’t have many more stones on this side before we have to start making new ones. A lot of the stones were too broken to use again. It is awesome to have some of the stones done all the way to the top.
This week’s video is when we poured the concrete behind the façade between the first and second floor. We finally got to use the concrete mixer and it made things go a little quicker. We hope the videos do a little better job of describing what we put on the blog in a few sentences and pictures.
Our friends from Texas were kind enough to help us make an attempt to solve the puzzle of the tower wall. A section of stone fell from the tower about 2 years ago. One of the neighbors said they heard it fall. All the stones sat at the base of the tower until this spring when we cleared out the weeds and found most of them. We didn’t solve it all yet but we got a great start.
We got 14 more 80 pound bags of concrete into the wall of the Mooreland House. Lucky for us, the concrete mixer waited until the last bag to break. Now that the lentils are stabilized with concrete we can start the last few rows of stones.
We decided to put a tarp on the Mooreland House and pour concrete on a day that it wasn’t raining. Rain mixed into the concrete makes a big mess. We were able to spend a little time with some friends that are in town for a visit. It’s nice to know that people that know us personally are still willing to come and see us. =)
The forms and rebar are ready for the concrete. This wall will be much more substantial than the brick arches that were there before. It seems like we just did this on the floor below this one. Rinse and repeat.
Kerry thought it would be cute to name this week’s video “Pilot Attempts Masonry”. We want everyone to know that we are not professionals and this should not be considered a training video. =) It may not be the prettiest or technically correct all the time but it is sturdy and much better than what was there. We think it is going to turn out okay. Thanks for watching.