We put a tarp over the stone work. Frank needs to take a few days off and go to work. We will be back at it before you know it.
Month: November 2021
We got the outer arch and some more of the dormer stones up. We now have some more brick work to do.
This week’s video takes us back to the frustrating day we had the blowout as we poured the concrete into the column. We look a little frustrated as it happens but we were able to fix it and get back to where we started. It is amazing how much faster things go together once you have already done it once. =)
Our first attempt at a stone window arch went off without a hitch. It took a few tries and a little fine tuning but it is up. The form will stay in place for a few days just to make sure everything is set.
We installed the tie stones and got the form built to support the stones that make up the arch over the window. We have never attempted an arch so it might be interesting. It was there before so we are certain it is possible.
Ready for Tie Blocks
Brickwork and stone is done to the top of the window posts. Having the bigger work platform has made a huge difference. For reference, the top of these columns is about 9 feet off the attic floor. That’s why we need the scaffolding. The last picture is of the large tie in stones that are next to go up.
Top of the Column
We made it to the top of the column! This was a month or so ago for those of you that follow the blog. We hope the video is more satisfying than a few sentences and pictures. Kerry finally gets to fly a drone again. Thanks for watching and sharing!
The inside brick of the facade is now too high. We had to put up a bit of scaffolding so we could continue up. The stones are big and they go up so much easier than all the brick. We might actually finish this thing!
We built a brace to hold the facade window posts in place as we put them in. We forgot how much brick work is in store for us on the back side of the facade. For each row of stones we put up outside we have to do a few rows of bricks on the inside.
We got 3 stones from the dormer facade back into place. The big corner ones maxed out our 300 pound bathroom scale we tried to use to weigh them. The window sill stone weighed in at 165. It is a good feeling to know they are sitting on a very solid foundation.