We were correct in getting this dormer facade down. One of the rods that we assumed was helping keep the wall secure was rusted in two inside the wall. It wouldn’t have been a help at all. We got down to the last couple of large stones. We were amazed once again at the sheer amount of tar that was used on this poor house.
Month: June 2022
We successfully got the arch stones down and the large stones on each side that were precariously balanced. See if you can find the snake shed in the last picture. We didn’t expect to see that 45 feet up in a stone wall.
We didn’t notice until we were taking the dormer stones down but there are some that have to be perfectly balanced. Because of the missing mortar they were out of balance and had to be strapped together before we could get the carved triangle stone down. We also got a picture of the one remaining bloom on the magnolia tree.
Finishing Option Three
With the roof repairs done in this video, we completed option three, the Kitchen Porch. This doesn’t completely fix the roof over the kitchen porch but it will stop 95% of the leaks. Kerry got a little drone footage that showed the new underlayment on the back flat roof. The YouTube people don’t know that is done yet but the people that also follow the blog do. We will keep it our little secret. =)
We are slowly and methodically taking the south dormer down. It’s a little tight next to the wall so we have to do some juggling to move the stones out of the way to make room for more to come down. Kerry keeps busy between driving Bertha and the tractor.
Taking down another dormer. We knew the day was coming so we have been mentally prepared. Taking it down actually takes a great weight off our shoulders. We don’t have to worry about this wall moving any more. We will be taking the brick down to below the window.
We have been measuring the distance between the wood structure and the stones on the south dormer facade for about a year and a half. We did another measurement and it had moved out a quarter of an inch. It doesn’t sound like much but it is too much for a stone wall to move. We are going to stop working on the powder room and get the south dormer down before it falls. Kerry did a great job of wedging Bertha in between the tree and the house. Stones are coming down next, one way or another.
A few people noticed that we hadn’t done any flashing on the back flat roof yet. It’s done now. It should stay dry under this roof now. We now know the life span of synthetic roofing felt is under a year. =) They say it is only good for 90 days but we stretched it a little.
We have gotten very far behind on our blog posts. We are going to try to catch back up. The last post was when we were getting ready to remove and replace the underlayment on the back flat roof. It looks much better now and this is the permanent underlayment for the torch down roofing.
Fixing Option Three
The first part of fixing option three is in the books. We do a lot of explaining about what is going on in the attic above the kitchen. Overall the option three project went off without a hitch. We still have to talk about how we fixed the roof above the porch but the video was long enough for this week. We are running behind on our blog posts. We are still working on the Mooreland House but have had lots of stuff going on. Enjoy the video!